For all the talk about positivity, you may wonder on a bad day, “Why is a positive attitude important?” Maintaining a good attitude when life isn’t going your way doesn’t come naturally – so why bother?
I’ll share more, but the main reason is this: your positive attitude positively affects YOU. It’s human nature to gravitate toward people, information, or places that imply a happier outlook. If you’re wise, you choose to provide that outlook for yourself, one no one can take away.
Why Is a Positive Attitude Important?
- Helps in any struggle.
- Costs nothing out of your pocket.
- Buys you time to think before you act.
- Causes people not to avoid you.
- Makes you viewed more favorably and for a longer period of time.
- Makes you appear confident and self-assured.
- Gives you a better day today and better memories when you look back on this day.
Frankly, few of us have any justification for the negative, pessimistic perspective that we let ourselves get bogged down with. No matter what you’re going through that’s tough, unless you’re using your last breath on earth, it’s not as rough or as bad as it can seem. In fact, you can (and must) manage your own perspective about the immediate world around you. Choose to “sing” at work as Warren Buffet says he does, and it shows in person and online.
7 Benefits of Having a Positive Attitude
- You lighten yours and others’ burdens.
- You increase your physical, mental, and emotional energy.
- You have a better chance of fighting off a cold (scientists say).
- You make experiences delightful.
- You have more fun than pessimists
- You live longer (research supports).
- You are remembered when you’re gone.
Your attitude and your effort are the only things you can control in this world. You have little or no say over the craziness of your colleagues, boss, the government, or your family, but you can take charge of your own actions and how you interact with others. You can choose a positive attitude. As a thinking adult, your outlook on life is managed by you, not by others, although they will try hard to do so. Don’t let them. You are your own boss in this matter, so be a good one.